Monday 2 October 2017

Autumn Light Stainforth

Bright highlights and strong long shadows make a perfect combination for a 'townscape' or even 'villagescape'. This is Riston Barn in Stainforth with the village's only post box, depicted here with a flash of windsor red. Once again this is painted on a burnt sienna ground (mdf panel), and following peniclling in the rough outline of the buildings I used some promarkers to build up the underlying tones. I've used these a couple of times and for a quick tonal underpainting these seem to be ok, although they do tend to remove some of the acrylic base wash.

Autumn Light, Stainforth. Oil on panel 8" x 6"

Again I'm trying to be looser in style and purposely avoided overdetailing the background houses, infact theres only two layers there and together they make for enough detail, but a new addition (for me) is the depiction of a car. Now I have previously avoided putting the trappings of modern-day into these paintings, however I am getting to feel that they are so prevalent they cannot be omitted and indeed provides a sense of time and place with these paintings. I did avoid putting in the wheelie bin as that would be a step too far.


No comments:

Post a Comment