Saturday 2 December 2017

The Long Slog - Pen-y-Ghent


Looking towards the hill (mountain to us Yorkshire folk), of Pen-y-Ghent or Hill of the winds from the Pennine Way track. This is the approach view for any long-distance walker along the pennine way or any day hill-bagger who has parked along the Silverdale Road at Dale Head.


The Long Slog - Pen-y-Ghent. 20" x 8" Oil on Board
First proper panorama for some time. This is the sixth time I have painting this particular massif, and I think finally I may have nailed it with respect to aerial perspective recession and overall composition. Its been a long road - and at each turn I am learning more and more techniques about capturing the subtleties of painting the yorkshire dales. Todays lesson was not using any form of mixed green whatsoever, as in previous paintings the saturation seems to have overtaken the image and imposed a false distance to the work. Its a lovely thing to be able to learn new things after nearly 10 years of painting, and I guess thats what keeping my interest in the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment